brownie-v.4.0brownie-v.4.0-aboveberwick-street-brownie

This could quite possibly be the world’s best brownie. I know, I know, it’s a bold statement right? But one I am willing to make. Sure, I already make a pretty killer brownie – ultra chocolatey, super gooey and with a nice and crunchy top, but that brownie is not the brownie. You know that one I mean, coffee shop style rich, fudgey, chewy and thick. I’m talking bad ass brownies.

Who knew setting myself this task would result in 3 months of extensive research and development? I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I spent an entire afternoon googling methods for making the fudgiest of brownies (reduced cooking time, pre-setting in the fridge, placing in a water bath etc), or that I experimented with brownies v.3.0 adding 8 EGGS to try and achieve a cracked top (NB: results in cake).

All I was trying to do was reach the holy grail of brownies and replicate a certain brownie I’d tried from a certain mysterious/impossible to find stall on Berwick Street market many moons ago. After many a failed attempt, last week I took v.5.0 into work for the verdict, which thank Gesu Cristo was a resounding yessssssir! And so my journey came to an end, my brownie lust however shall live on forever.

The Berwick Street Brownie

Makes one 9×13″ pan and around 16 large brownies

150g unsalted butter
150g dark chocolate
1 shot of espresso, or 1 teaspoon coffee granules mixed with 30ml hot water
60g good quality cocoa powder
350g caster sugar
4 eggs
150g all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
Handful of walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 180°c and line a 9×13″ baking pan with parchment paper.

Melt together the butter and chocolate and stir in the shot of espresso (or coffee granules) and cocoa powder. Whisk in the sugar until incorporated, then add the eggs and whisk until combined. Add the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and whisk until just combined, then fold in the walnuts.

Pour into your prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool entirely before slicing. For an even cleaner slice whack that bad boy in the fridge for 10 minutes before cutting.

About these ads

12 thoughts on “The Berwick Street Brownie

1. roseandlea says:

These brownies look amazing… Thanks for the recipe, I think I’m going to have to try it out ! :)

1. Gabriella says:

You’re welcome! Let me know how they turn out :)

2. Tara says:

These look great! Now, I’ll need to convert the measurements to cups!

1. Gabriella says:

Story of my life, and you’d think by now I’d be able to convert cups to grams off the top of my head.. ;) I was thinking about adding a conversion chart section on here, maybe I should! Hope you enjoy!

3. ealexcleary says:

Did you make espresso to use one shot for this? Or did you buy it? Embarrassed to say I’m confused by this step!

1. Gabriella says:

Hi! You’re quite right that step is a little confusing – I have an espresso machine so I added a shot of espresso from that. Instead of that use a teaspoon of instant coffee granules and add 30ml hot water. Alternatively you could also use a teaspoon of coffee extract – whichever is easier! The coffee makes the chocolate really zing.

4. Colleen says:

I just made these…though they aren’t out of the oven yet, the batter itself is decadent!! The 9-14 inches of snow we are supposed to be getting isn’t going to matter once these lovlies come out of the oven. Assuming my kids let me have any…thanks so much for posting this!! I cannot wait to eat one! (Or 4 or 5…)

1. Gabriella says:

Hi Colleen, eeeek that’s some serious snow on its way! Hope you enjoy them :) Gabriella

5. Liza Wilson says:

Those look AMAZING!

6. Deancolour says:

Thank you a lot for this recipe. I made some today and they turned out great. But I have to add, I used only 300g sugar because 350 seemed a little much for me, since in other recipes the usual amount is around 150-200. But to my surprise, they’re not too sweet, I think they’re just right, I might even try 350 next time I make some :D Anyways, those definitely are the best brownies I ever tasted, the are crunchy on top, squishy on the bottom und creamish in the middle. I love them!

7. God these look good! I love coffee in brownies…

8. Wonderful-looking brownies – anything chocolaty is my weakness.